Thursday, March 21, 2013

Universal Therapy Materials

Hello! I hope you're doing well....tonight I thought I would write a quick post about using one therapy material for many different types of sessions. For the past thirteen years, I have loved almost everything I have purchased from
Super Duper Publications. If you've been a SLP for more than a millisecond, or have been to the ASHA conference, I'm sure you're familiar with this company :-)

Over a decade ago when I bought my first "Fun Deck" from them, there were very few options for materials that were bright, colorful, and well, fun. Those were the days of drawing, coloring, cutting, gluing, and laminating your own materials. Think of how far we've come! In the weeks and months ahead, I'll share my favorite apps and other "contemporary" therapy materials, but tonight I'm going old-school (well, kind of). :-)

A few years ago I ordered the MagneTalk Barrier Games from Super Duper Publications, and casually used it with some language groups. I've always loved barrier games to target following directions, basic concepts, verbal formulation, etc. This week I pulled MagneTalk off the shelf, and I literally used it for almost EVERY session I had that day! For my following directions/attributes group, my social cognition group, my fluency student, even an articulation session!

For the following directions/attributes group, I used it the traditional way, and had the students tell each other where to put the magnets with specific concepts (e.g., "Put the crescent moon on the left side of the star", etc).

The barrier game was surprisingly difficult for my student with social cognition challenges! We worked on turn-taking, anticipating a listener's needs (giving enough specific information about magnet placement), identifying a "group plan", whole body listening, following directions, flexibility, seeking information, communication repair strategies, thinking about others (perspective), and asking/answering questions! Phewwww! We will DEFINITELY be revisiting barrier games again!

My fluency student used his fluency shaping strategies, and practiced cancellations and pull-outs, when telling me where to put my magnets.

My articulation student labeled every object possible with his sound ("th") on the board and magnets, then practiced telling me where to put "this" one and "that" one in sentences.

Oh, and just FYI, I purchased an extra stand so that we each have our own....that means we can put our stands side-by-side at the end to compare/contrast our pictures!

Do you have this game? What do you use it for? I'll be using it again tomorrow with at least three groups ;)
What materials do you use for multiple sessions?

Rebecca-SLP:-)
PS-Boy am I glad I don't have to color my own stimulus pictures anymore! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment