Tuesday, March 12, 2013

FREEBIE Cranium Cariboo Narrative Game for There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Clover

Confession 4: I love a good game!

Hello again and happy Tuesday! I hope your week is going well :-)

Tonight I have another Fabulous Freebie! After all, I did say I would post a freebie, or "two". So here is my idea: narrative language with the Cranium Cariboo game!
I have to admit, I haven't tried this out with my students yet (I plan to tomorrow). I made this today, but wanted to post it ASAP because my first book is There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Clover, and I figured you guys may want to use it this week, too :-)

So here's what I'm thinking in terms of play: replace the "trap door" cards (at least that's what I call them) with icons from the book, and replace the playing cards with stimulus questions, including ordinals for story sequencing. For example, if a student picks a play card that asks "What did the old lady swallow FIRST?", he would open the trap door that had the clover on it. I thought of this idea last week and decided to try to use it with my St. Patrick's Day book. I have plans to make a whole packet of these (maybe one with the cards for a lot of the "Old Lady" books?), so keep watching my blog/TPT store for that!


If you're not familiar with the Cranium Cariboo game, Jenna Rayburn over at Speech Room News has a great blog post about it here. Of course, I love Jenna's idea of using it for articulation, but I thought maybe I would try it for narrative. I think there are endless possibilities for narrative work with this game (both retelling and generating new narratives). I'm sorry to say the version of the game I use is out of production, but I think you can still get it on EBay if you don't already have it.


Here's what my game looks like:


Here's the cards I consider to be "trap doors":


Here's what I will replace the cards with:

There are 15 trap door cards in total to cover all on the game. You may need to trim these by 1/4 of an inch on the side depending on your version of the game.

Here's the playing cards that came with the game:

Here's what I made to replace them with:
There are 15 in total. You may want to have the book handy or sequence the story first with pictures to help with answering the questions!
So, what do you all think? Is this an idea you would try? If it is, pick up my FREE cards for this book here!
Oh, and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE leave FEEDBACK so I know what you think!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Rebecca-SLP :-)

2 comments:

  1. Loved this! Plan to use in therapy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much slpecho! I thought other people may want to try this! Please let me know how it goes :-)

      Delete